If you have children who are struggling in one or more subjects, then hiring a home tutor may be the solution that you are looking for. But how do you know if you should hire a home tutor? Are there any questions you can ask when interviewing potential home tutors before deciding on which home tutor to hire?
For example, you want to ensure that your child is comfortable with the teacher’s methods of teaching. You also want to make sure that homework will be returned on time, and that the home tutor is available if you need any emergency help. Here are a few questions you should ask when interviewing home tutors. When it comes to hiring a home tutor there is one thing you absolutely must ask. I bring this up because one of the most important aspects of seeking out the right person is their personality. It’s often not the talent or knowledge base that makes or breaks the lesson, but rather how well they work with your child on a personal level.
Here are questions to ask before you hire a tutor for your child.
- How long have you been tutoring?
- What are your qualifications, certifications, or credentials?
- What’s your expertise in the content area my child is studying?
- Have you worked before with kids or adults who have trouble with the same skills as my child?
- How will you get a sense of my child’s needs?
- What strategies have you found to help most when you start to work with a child?
- Can you tell me a little bit about your teaching philosophy?
- What kind of results can I expect to see, and what happens if my child doesn’t make progress?
- What might get in the way of achieving your tutoring goals?
- How would you help my child deal with [specific challenge your child has had]?
- What can I do to support the process?
- How will you communicate with me, and how often?
- How will you work and communicate with my child’s teachers?
- How do you measure progress?
- Do you have references I can speak to?
- What’s your availability?
- Where will the tutoring sessions take place?
- How long is each tutoring session?
- How much do you charge per session?
- Are there other fees (for materials or assessments, for example)?
- What’s your policy for cancellations and make-up sessions?